Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Not a food thought...

I have a friend in school who comes from India, her name is Niru. She lives past the waterfront so I often give her a ride. We have the most wonderful conversations. Today we were talking about religion. Well let me start from the top...Im in a program with 48 others in my graduating class. Out of 49 students only 2 are black, 1 Asian, 1 Indian (from india not native American) I should say visibly because I dont know their heritage just going by looks. As far as I know I am the only Jew.
Niru, felt she is the only one who isnt religiously affiliated. I told her in America people consider themselves christian but are not necessarily practicing.  She appreciated that...then we got into the discussion about faith which brought out good thoughts...why do we need to hold ourselves to one belief?!?! Im not saying I believe in Judaism and in Christianity...but when it comes to beliefs...I thought...I believe in God...Im Jewish, I am a practicing, orthodox Jew...but I believe in Karma, I believe in people....We can believe that the good we do comes back to us, that the evil we do comes back as well...even if we believe that God controls what happens in the world....
Then... Niru quoted one of our nursing professors, who is a christian (possibly Catholic) saying women were only created for the purpose of procreation. Both of us STRONGLY disagree. If this were so barren women, single women, women who chose not to have children, lesbian women...would not have a purpose...hmph. It bothered us both that in 2012 in a world were we have to be so careful with our lingo so careful with our PCness that a professor would say something like that...but we concluded she's entitled to her opinion but we strongly disagree. 
I know this is alot...I know its way to philosophical to just jot down like this...but I figured..why not?!?! maybe I could get some feedback...but please no bickering just thoughts and ideas even if they aren't the same as mine even if they contradict mine...just be tactful I dont want this discussion to turn sour...

Over and out!

No comments:

Post a Comment